There are several benefits to buying your child’s next Cub Scout handbook or manual in the summer. Keep ’em busy and complete some requirements at the same time!
a Bear Elective Adventure
The Bear Den Leader guide says, “This adventure will introduce Bear Scouts to swimming safety, boating safety, physical development and fitness, skill development, and fun in the water. Bears in nature like to swim and play in the water, and so can Bear Scouts.”
Read on to discover this adventure’s requirements and fun ways to complete them!
Complete requirements 1-4 and two others.
- Explain the importance of response personnel or lifeguards in a swimming area. Tell how the buddy system works and why it is important.
- Visit a local pool or swimming area with your den or family. Go swimming or take a swimming lesson.
- Explain the safety rules that you need to follow before participating in boating.
- Identify the safety equipment needed when going boating.
- Demonstrate correct rowing or paddling form. Explain how rowing and canoeing are good exercise.
- Show how to do both a reach rescue and a throw rescue.
- Demonstrate the front crawl swim stroke to your den or family.
- Name the three swimming ability groups for the Boy Scouts of America.
- Earn the BSA beginner swim classification.