Learn how to make a solar hot dog cooker from a Pringles can! Super fun and easy project for kids. Perfect STEM activity for Cub Scouts.
Bear Picnic Basket,
a Bear Elective Adventure
The Bear Den Leader guide says, “This adventure introduces Bear Scouts to the fun of preparing their own meals and snacks. They learn basic skills and safety practices when cooking inside or outside. Scouts also learn how to select, prepare, and perfect their own recipes. The skills learned in this adventure can be the groundwork for the Cooking merit badge and the quartermaster leadership position once the Bear becomes a Boy Scout.”
Read on to discover this adventure’s requirements and fun ways to complete them!
Complete at least three of the following.
- Create your own Bear cookbook using at least five recipes you might cook or prepare either on your own or with some adult help. Include at least one recipe each for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a nutritious snack.
- With a family member or den leader, prepare for cooking by explaining the importance of planning, tool selection, sanitation, and cooking safety.
- Select and prepare two nutritious snacks for yourself, your family, or your den.
- With the help of an adult, select a recipe to prepare in a kitchen for your den or your family. Help to select the needed ingredients, perhaps from a garden, grocery store, or farmers’ market. Cook and serve your planned meal. Clean up after the preparation and cooking.
- With the help of an adult, select a recipe to prepare in the outdoors for your family or den. Help to select the needed ingredients, perhaps from a garden, grocery store, or farmers’ market. Cook and serve your planned meal. Clean up after the preparation and cooking.
Want a portable charcoal grill that’s perfect for camping, tailgating, or picnicking? Find out about the HERO Grill! No mess and easy to use.
Add some excitement to the big race with these 4 healthy Pinewood Derby snacks. Cub Scouts and parents both will love them!
Make a pizza box oven with your kids! You can make s’mores without the campfire–all you need is sun. The pizza box solar ovens are quick and easy to make.
Cooking outdoors is a skill that Cub Scouts learn. If you want to go beyond hamburgers and hot dogs, visit this post for some great cookbook suggestions.