Bear Picnic Basket,
a Bear Elective Adventure
The Bear Den Leader guide says, "This adventure introduces Bear Scouts to the fun of preparing their own meals and snacks. They learn basic skills and safety practices when cooking inside or outside. Scouts also learn how to select, prepare, and perfect their own recipes. The skills learned in this adventure can be the groundwork for the Cooking merit badge and the quartermaster leadership position once the Bear becomes a Boy Scout."
Read on to discover this adventure's requirements and fun ways to complete them!
Complete at least three of the following.
- Create your own Bear cookbook using at least five recipes you might cook or prepare either on your own or with some adult help. Include at least one recipe each for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a nutritious snack.
- With a family member or den leader, prepare for cooking by explaining the importance of planning, tool selection, sanitation, and cooking safety.
- Select and prepare two nutritious snacks for yourself, your family, or your den.
- With the help of an adult, select a recipe to prepare in a kitchen for your den or your family. Help to select the needed ingredients, perhaps from a garden, grocery store, or farmers’ market. Cook and serve your planned meal. Clean up after the preparation and cooking.
- With the help of an adult, select a recipe to prepare in the outdoors for your family or den. Help to select the needed ingredients, perhaps from a garden, grocery store, or farmers’ market. Cook and serve your planned meal. Clean up after the preparation and cooking.