Fur, Feathers, and Ferns,
a Bear Required Adventure
The Bear Den Leader guide says, "In this adventure, Bears will explore the outdoor world of mammals, birds, plants, and more! They will understand that every living thing has a home--often very close by. Scouts will also discover that almost every living thing's neighborhood is a home to at least one type of another living thing. Protecting those homes, called habitats, is up to everyone. and Bears can help!
Read on to discover this adventure's requirements and fun ways to complete them!
Complete Requirement 1 and three others.
- While hiking or walking for one mile, identify six signs that any mammals, birds, insects, reptiles, or plants are living near the place where you choose to hike or walk.
- Visit one of the following: zoo, wildlife refuge, nature center, aviary, game preserve, local conservation area, wildlife rescue group, or fish hatchery. Describe what you learned during your visit.
- Name one animal that has become extinct in the last 100 years and one animal that is currently endangered. Explain what caused their declines.
- Observe wildlife from a distance. Describe what you saw.
- Use a magnifying glass to examine plants more closely. Describe what you saw through the magnifying glass that you could not see without it.
- Learn about composting and how vegetable waste can be turned into fertilizer for plants.
- Plant a vegetable or herb garden.